Bhumi is one of India’s largest independent youth volunteer non-profit organisations. Bhumi was chosen as the ‘Leader in Volunteer Engagement’ at the iVolunteer Awards in 2014. Bhumi as a platform will enable over 5,000 volunteers in more than 10 states across India volunteer for causes like education, environment, animals, community welfare etc. in 2014. Bhumi volunteers primarily work amongst over 15,000 underprivileged children in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telengana, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi NCR with the aim of providing children with quality supplementary education to enable them become responsible and productive citizens of the future.
- Kanini – computer literacy programme that involves teaching of basic and advanced concepts based on the children’s aptitude levels. The programme is benefiting over 1,000 children this year.
- Speak Out – interactive English-learning programme for children who have limited or no proficiency in the language. This programme is benefitting over 600 children this year.
- Lakshya –mentorship programme that pairs underprivileged children with volunteers, who act as their mentors and undergo experiential learning in leadership. The programme is benefitting over 500 children this year.
- Little Einsteins Mathematics– activity-based approach to learn Mathematics. The programme is benefitting over 500 children this year.
- Little Einsteins Science– activity-based approach to learn science using hands on experimentation and multimedia demos. The programme is benefitting over 500 children this year.
- Nakshatra – Annual inter-children’s home art, cultural, sports and science talent fest for children to exhibit their talents and explore their potential in an atmosphere of healthy competition. Over 6,000 children from 110 children’s homes will participate this year.
- Nakshatra Reach Out – Talent development programme in Arts, Music, Dance, Football and Volley ball for children. The programme is benefitting over 400 children this year.
- Joy to the World – annual initiative to spread joy to underprivileged children by fulfilling their small wishes. Over 5,000 children will benefit this year.
- Hi5 Club – A programme to promote volunteerism by promoting short term volunteering opportunities primarily among students and young professionals with the goal of making volunteerism a national habit. Over 5,000 volunteers will be engaged this year.
- Other programmes – iCubed – social entrepreneurship competition, Reclaim Our Beaches – sustainable beach cleanups, Volunteer Your Vision – Reading, scribing, audio book creation for the visually challenged etc.
Awards & Recognitions
- Bhumi is the recipient of the ‘Leader in Volunteer Engagement’ Award at the iVolunteer Awards 2013
- Bhumi volunteer Ms.Vaishnavi Srinivasan received the ‘youth volunteer of the year award’ at Apeejay India Volunteer Awards 2011
- Bhumi is the recipient of the ‘Service Excellence’ Award 2010 from the Rotary Club
- Bhumi is the recipient of the ‘Excellence in Literacy’ Award 2009 from the Rotary Club
- Bhumi is the recipient of the ‘InDiya Shine Award’ 2009 from Great Non Profits
- Bhumi has also been selected as one of ‘Asia Pacific Emerging 100’ youth social entrepreneurships by the FYSE in 2009
Bhumi in the News